Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Oracle/Google Java/Android suit and a forthcoming blog post

For those of you who aren't aware, I don't just spit out blog posts stream-of-consciousness. I mean, it might seem that way based on my terrible writing style, but I actually work at this stuff.

Many of you will know that I'm a long-time Java developer. I've professionally done a lot of other stuff, but the vast majority of my experience has been in Java. I like the ecosystem, the toolchains, the JVM; I find it a productive environment, and OpenGamma's software is predominantly written in Java.

There's a blog post that I've been working on mentally for months, and in text form for about 2 weeks. I'm planning on publishing it tomorrow. It has nothing to do with the ORCL/GOOG suit. Nothing at all. I've felt the things in the post for ages, well before Sun imploded, well before Oracle bought them.

For various reasons, I'm not going to say what I think about the suit itself. If you want to know, read Charles Nutter's analysis of the suit. Also read Stephen Colebourne's analysis. Both of these will make you smarter. Me? I have nothing to add.

When my post comes out, though, I wanted a vehicle to point all this out and a simple link in case people thought I was talking about the ORCL/GOOG situation. It's messy and complicated and wrapped in ego and profit and law and policy, and Charles and Stephen put the points across better than I could.

blog comments powered by Disqus